Members of Chambers
Following a successful family law practice in Manchester, Anna accepted an invitation to join Chambers in February 2015.
Anna brings to her practice at Stour Chambers, a wide range of experiences gleaned from undertaking complex family law cases (both in her own right and whilst being led by senior members of the Bar), along with life experience, afforded to her from her military career. In particular, Anna is noted for her meticulous case preparation, her attention to solicitor and client care, and her enthusiastic and no nonsense approach to work. Anna combines such qualities with being a bold yet sensible advocate, with an ability to deliver robust advice in conference whilst not losing sight of the need for sensitivity towards clients, especially when representing vulnerable clients or those with mental health difficulties.
Anna's practice encompasses all aspects of family law, and regularly appears in the higher courts, including the High Court and has experience of appearing in the Court of Appeal (Family Division). Anna is also available to provide advice (in conference and written form).
Anna has particular interest in mental health law and has experience of cases involving capacity issues, the Official Solicitor and representing clients with mental health problems and / or learning difficulties.
Anna is available to deliver training / CPD seminars to solicitors and children practitioners, and is able to accept instructions direct from the public on cases deemed suitable for Direct Access.
Specialist Practice Areas
- Care and Adoption - for parents, family members and guardians * Official Solicitor - including, case relating to non-accidental injury, child neglect and cruelty, and medico-legal.
- Private Law - including: finding of fact hearings; domestic violence, including cases with serious criminal and sexual abuse allegations; jurisdictional issues; injunctions (including, prohibited steps); leave to remove; and contact.
- Ancillary relief and relationship breakdown - including, advise work and representation in Ancillary Relief and TLATA cases, involving pensions, and of particular note, military pensions; cohabitee disputes. Anna has a particular interest in cases involving agricultural land and farms.
Other areas include
- Housing - representation of housing associations and tenants, including anti-social behaviour injunctions and committal proceedings
- Employment - including, wrongful and unfair dismissal, redundancy and discrimination
- Anti-social behaviour injunctions
- Crime - Level 1 CPS prosecution and defence work undertaken
- Military Law
- Re M (A Child)  EWCA 266 Civ - representation of a father deemed 'extremely violent' by the Local Authority. No findings were made against father.
- To be reported - representation of a father with significant mental health problems accused of attempting to murder his baby. The case involved the analysis of complex medical matters and cross-examination of a number of medical practitioners and experts. Led by Nkumbe Ekaney QC in the High Court.
- LLB (Hons) - First class
- BVC - City Law School, formerly Inns of Court School of Law
Scholarships & Awards
Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth the Queens Mother's Award (2005, 2006 and 2007) and the President's Award (2005, 2006 and 2007), awarded by HM Forces (Army)
Bar Council bursary to represent the UK at the 2008 Specialisation Course on International Criminal Law for Young Penalists entitled The Shari'a and International Criminal Law, held in Sicily
Andrew McDowell Memorial Shield for academic achievement (university)
Hardwiche Scholar (Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn)
Conversational French and Italian
- Family Law Bar Association
- Child Concern
- Court of Protection Practitioners Association
- Lord Denning Society
Hobbies and other interests:
Anna is a keen horsewoman, and has experience of breaking, re-schooling and competing horses. As a former Army biathlon skier, Anna enjoys a variety of sports, though does so now at a more leisurely pace. Anna enjoys playing tennis golf and participating in country pursuits. Anna is a proud 'mummy' to Yogi Bear, her beloved Labrador.