Members of Chambers
Emma joined Stour Chambers in 2016, after establishing a mixed and successful civil practise over ten years’ work in London (where she retains an associate tenant).
Emma specialises in employment law, representing both employee and employer clients in a wide variety of claims, including unfair dismissal, discrimination and “whistle-blowing” matters. Emma has also advised in high value restraint of trade claims and successfully made use of the Employment Tribunal mediation scheme. In the field of personal injury Emma’s extensive practice involves Employers’ liability, tripping and slipping cases and road traffic accident claims. The experience of working in employment law and personal injury provides Emma with an invaluable overlap of knowledge and expertise; which is put to particular use in work-place stress claims which often cross over with disability discrimination/reasonable adjustment cases.
In addition, Emma advises and acts on credit hire claims and in numerous common law areas, including commercial cases and contractual disputes.
Feedback from clients include a senior representative of a Respondent company describing Emma as “a splendid young barrister who has my confidence and undivided attention”, and an employee client thanking her, saying “…it was very evident to me that you have outstanding abilities both in preparation and delivery, including an excellent empathy with the client…”
She is able to accept instructions on a direct access basis and is happy to consider undertaking work on a CFA basis.
Specialist Practice Areas
- Unfair dismissal (including constructive dismissal)
- Discrimination claims
- Restraint of trade
- Unlawful deduction from wages
- Road Traffic Accidents
- Employer’s Liability
- Credit Hire
- Lipton Group PLC v Cudd (2015) UKEAT/0360/14/DM
- Customer Systems PLC v Ranson & Ors (2011) EWHC 3304 (drafted the Fourth Defendant’s Defence – unavailable for trial due to the arrival of first child).
- Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority v Wong UKEAT/0185/08/LA
- BVC Exhibition 2004, Inner Temple
- BVC, Inns of Court School of Law, London
- BA Jurisprudence, Trinity College, Oxford
Languages: Basic French
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Free Representation Unit
Hobbies and Other Interests
In a previous life Emma’s main hobby was playing hockey – she received a Blue at Oxford and played for Canterbury and Southgate. Now she spends most weekends traversing the Kent countryside and coast with her young family or helping at the family’s restaurant in Whitstable.