Members of Chambers
Gemma specialises in care proceedings - particularly complex fact-finding hearings involving allegations of non-accidental injury or sexual abuse. Of note, reported cases include: H (Children) (Sexual abuse: fact-finding)  All ER (D) 69 (May), an appeal heard after a 45 day fact-finding hearing in the High Court sitting at Medway and Re K (Care Proceedings: Fact Finding)  2 FLR 199 where Hedley J refused to conduct a fact-finding into the death of a previous child of the father. Gemma has appeared numerous times in the Court of Appeal. Gemma regularly lectures at local seminars / conferences organised by Chambers and has lectured and chaired a conference in London for Central Legal Training. In 2013, she co-authored 'Assessment of Parents in Care Proceedings' with Simon Johnson, another member of Chambers. The book was published by Jordan Publishing Ltd at the end of March 2014.
Gemma also specialises in complex private law children work - particularly those containing serious allegations or where there is implacable hostility or parental alienation.
Legal 500, 2017 list Gemma in the 'Leading juniors' list, The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2017's guide to outstanding juniors nationwide.
Legal 500, 2016 recommends Gemma as a 'Leading Junior' and ranked tier 1 - 'Very good with clients and experienced in complex cases'.
Legal 500, 2015 as a 'Leading Junior' - 'A highly intelligent and analytical practitioner, who is liked by clients and judges.’
Chambers UK, 2017 - Band 2
Specialises in complex care proceedings, usually acting on behalf of parents but sometimes representing children. She is also well versed in private law cases, and has significant experience in taking cases to the Court of Appeal.
Strengths: "She has a methodical and thorough approach." "Excellent in cross-examination."
Chambers UK, 2016 - Band 3
Praised for her technical ability, particularly in care proceedings and fact-finding hearings concerning non-accidental injury and abuse. She also undertakes private law children work.
Strengths: 'She is intelligent, tenacious and personable. She's got all the tools at her disposal and she is very level-headed'. 'She is an excellent, intelligent lawyer. She is also very conscientious and always on top of what she is doing'.
Specialist Practice Areas
- Care and Adoption (for parents and guardians)
- Private Law Children work – with a particular emphasis on complex cases such as those that involve serious allegations, implacable hostility or parental alienation.
- Court of Protection
Other areas include
- H (Children) (Sexual abuse: Fact Finding) [2011) All ER (D) 69 (May)
- Re K (Care Proceedings: Fact Finding)  2 FLR 199  2 FLR 199
- LM (By her Guardian) v Medway Council, RM & YM  1 FLR 1698
- Re H (Child)  EWCA Civ 369
- MA (English), Robinson College, Cambridge, 1990
- CPE (Common Professional Examination in Law), University of Westminster, London 1993
- Basic German
- Member of FLBA (Family Law Bar Association)
- Member of ELAS (Education Law Association)
- Member of ALC (Association of Lawyers for Children)
Hobbies and other interests
Outside of Chambers, Gemma enjoys gardening, walking her dogs, going to concerts and the theatre and generally relaxing with her family.