Members of Chambers
Helene Pines Richman
Helene has been called "a formidable role model for women at the English Bar" (The Independent) and for many years was recommended as a leading Junior in the Legal 500. She is a tenacious advocate, and a polished performer with a passion for her cases and a deep and wide knowledge of the law. She takes on a full range of matters up to large multimillion pound disputes - difficult cases involving considerable tactic, strategy and judgment, as well as technical expertise - often on the most urgent basis.
Helene has a wide chancery practise encompassing all aspects of wills, administration of estates, Inheritance Act claims, trusts, inheritance tax, Court of Protection, charities, and divorce as well as related areas of property, financial services and commercial law.
Specialist Practice Areas;
- Wills - advising and drafting, construction, rectification, challenges to validity of wills, Beddoes and Benjamin Orders, foreign wills, international wills; substantial overseas elements; non-contentious practice; and non-contentious probate, trusts, administration of estates, family provision, Court of Protection, ancillary relief, disability law, inheritance tax, charities, professional negligence.
- Administration of Estates - grants, claims against estates, insolvent estates, disputes between and against executors and trustees, Inheritance Act claims, proprietary estoppel.
- Trusts, divorce, multi-jurisdictional issues, inheritance tax, charities, matters in Court of Protection, and negligence claims.
PROPERTY AND COMMERCIAL
- Trusts of land, real property, personal insolvency, partnerships, mortgages, financial services and professional negligence.
Helene has a particular specialty in international law / cross boarder aspects of the above areas and is a practising member of the New York Bar.
- Doorey v King (Chancery Division) - Inheritance Act claim - trial and appeal. Claim brought by cohabitee (2016)
- Fernandes v Fernandes (Chancery Division) - estate dispute over investment property trusts of land, question of illegal purpose (2015)
- Harris v LeFeuvre (Chancery Division) - removal of executors - appeal (2015)
- Jean Marie v Bernard (Principal Registry) - Inheritance Act claim. Living together as husband and wife, married to someone else at same time (2015)
Court of Protection:
- In re Croft - statutory will (2015)
- In re R - provision re adult with profound learning disability (2015)
- In re Langton - statutory will (2014)
- In re G - residential provision for adult with profound learning disabilities (2012)
- In re Kenneth Hurst - order for removal of attorneys and account (2011)
Property / Commercial:
- Qureshi v Qureshi (Chancery Division) - long running dispute over Partnership and trust assets and breaches (2015)
- Mendoza v Butt (Chancery Division) - breach of lease, barrelage, quantum of damages (2015)
- Srikanthan v Karia (Edmonton Cty Ct) - wrongful forfeiture of lease, loss of profit (2015)
- Shah v Kirit Chagan Pankhana (Queen's Bench Division) - appeal in professional negligence action against solicitors (2015)
- Chancery Bar Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Helene Pines Richman frequently presents seminars on various aspects of commercial and property law both with CLT and her chambers, 9 Stone Buildings. She is a frequent contributor to legal journals, including the Law Society's PS Journal (Monthly) and the New Law Journal. She has also appeared on the BBC and on Radio 4 as a commentator on legal issues involving banking, property and international law.
- McCabe v McCabe - Standard for Proving Testamentary Capacity; the Golden Rule (LexisNexis) July 2015
- Instructing Counsel - for Litigants in Person (LIPS article) Atkins Court Forms 2014
- Atkins Court Forms, Practice and Forms, MORTGAGES (2003)
- Atkins Court Forms, Practice and Forms, PARTNERSHIPS (1999)
- Chancery Practice and Procedure (Jordans) - Inheritance Act Chapter
- Butterworths Older Client Law Service (contributing editor in financial areas)
- "Advising on Trusts for Disabled Persons" Trust Quarterly Review Vol 6 Issue 4 November 2008
- "Beware of CRAG (Estate planning and charging for residential accommodation guide) - Breakdown of Complex Rules" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate) March 2008.
- "Assessing Mental Capacity: a Legal Perspective" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) Special Issue on the new Mental Capacity Act February 2007.
- "Undue Influence: Legal Requirements for a Successful Claim" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) November 2006.
- "Miller v Miller and claims under the Inheritance Act" (2 part article) Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) September and October 2006.
- "Constructive Trusts" Trusts and Estates Law Journal May 2004
- Steady Eddy" Property in Practice, June 2008 (The limited rights of the public in privately owned foreshore are set to change with the new enactment of the Marine Bill)
- "Legal Developments - Etridge Mortgage Cases" Legal Week 1st November 2001.
- "The Etridge Mortgage Cases: A Review " The New Law Journal 19th October 2001.
- "Using the Human Rights Act to save the Family Home" The New Law Journal 21st July 2000.