Members of Chambers
Helene Pines Richman
Private Client - contentious and non-contentious probate, trusts, administration of estates, family provision, Court of Protection, ancillary relief, disability law, inheritance tax, charities, professional negligence.
Property - particularly real property including easements, covenants, adverse possession, TOLATA claims, riparian rights, water rights, manorial rights.
Commercial - partnerships, small companies, personal insolvency, financial products including derivatives and hedge funds, banking, mortgages and securities.
Mrs Richman has a particular specialty in international law/cross border aspects of the above areas and is a practising member of the New York Bar.
- Kalyan v Malik (Court of Appeal)  EWCA Civ 113, (2010) Times, 1st April 2010 (estate case, proprietary estoppel)
- Eastman v Barker et al (Central London County Court) (1st June 2010) (solicitor's negligence, wasted costs)
- Poppy Kitts v City of Westminster and others (Central London County Court) (4th May 2010) (CFAs, wasted costs, third party funding orders)
- Trustee v Helen Smith (Croydon County Court) (20th April 2010) ("exceptional circumstances" under s 335A, 336 Insolvency Act 1986, HRA 1998, special needs of children)
- Joannides v Rahman and another (Chancery Division) (4th March 2010) (summary judgment in probate case, conditional orders)
- Knight v Bankside Property (Central London County Court) (27th January 2010) (solicitor's negligence)
- McMullen v Durant (Central London County Court) (23rd October 2009) (solicitor's negligence)
- Moore v Cecil (King's Lynn County Court) (15th September 2009) (probate, question of paternity, family provision)
- Bhasin v Hastings (Queen's Bench Division) (17th December 2008) (breach of trust)
- Karia v Ruparelia (Central London County Court) (December 2008) (validity of legal charge, bankruptcy)
- Re Dr Gupta (Court of Protection) (17th September 2008) (statutory will, Indian Succesion Laws, property in India).
- Cheval Bridging Finance v Hastings v Bhasin (Court of Appeal) (11th April 2008) (mortgages)
- Rostamkhami v Patel (Central London County Court0 (2008-2009) (long-running trial of landlord and tenant restaurant dispute)
- Boarer v Maciw and 13 others Chancery Division September 2006 (real property, riparian rights).
- Henley-on-Thames Town Council v Pannier and others Reading County Court November 2006 (real property, manorial rights, riparian rights).
- Vidyarthi v Clifford  EWHC 2084 (Ch),  2 FLR 104 (bankruptcy and the family home).
- UCB Bank plc v Hedworth  EWHC 1138 (Ch) (banking and real property - overriding interests).
- Clegg v Andersson t/a Nordic Marine  EWCA Civ 320,  1 All ER (Comm) 721 (see references in Halsbury's Laws of England - Sale of Goods at sections 81, 199) (sale of goods).
- Buggs v Buggs  All ER (D) 379 (Jun),  EWHC 1538 (Ch) (constructive trusts and proprietary estoppel).
- Royal Bank of Scotland plc v Etridge (No 2)  4 All ER 44 (mortgages, undue influence).
- Barclays Bank v Coleman and Coleman v Dixon Emberton v Spring  1 All ER 3850, CA (mortgages, solicitor's negligence).
- National Westminster Bank plc v Sher  BPIR 224 (bankruptcy).
- Re a Debtor (No 5/4 of 1995)  2 BCLC 124 (IVAs).
- Chancery Bar Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Practitioners (ACTAPS)
- Commercial Bar Association
- Bar Council Indicative Sanctions Committee
- Society of English and American Lawyers
Helene Pines Richman frequently presents seminars on various aspects of commercial and property law both with CLT and her chambers, 9 Stone Buildings. She is a frequent contributor to legal journals, including the Law Society's PS Journal (Monthly) and the New Law Journal. She has also appeared on the BBC and on Radio 4 as a commentator on legal issues involving banking, property and international law.
- Atkins Court Forms, Practice and Forms, MORTGAGES (2003)
- Atkins Court Forms, Practice and Forms, PARTNERSHIPS (1999)
- Chancery Practice and Procedure (Jordans) - Inheritance Act Chapter
- Butterworths Older Client Law Service (contributing editor in financial areas)
- "Advising on Trusts for Disabled Persons" Trust Quarterly Review Vol 6 Issue 4 November 2008
- "Beware of CRAG (Estate planning and charging for residential accommodation guide) - Breakdown of Complex Rules" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate) March 2008.
- "Assessing Mental Capacity: a Legal Perspective" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) Special Issue on the new Mental Capacity Act February 2007.
- "Undue Influence: Legal Requirements for a Successful Claim" Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) November 2006.
- "Miller v Miller and claims under the Inheritance Act" (2 part article) Law Society's PS Journal (Probate Section) September and October 2006.
- "Constructive Trusts" Trusts and Estates Law Journal May 2004
- Steady Eddy" Property in Practice, June 2008 (The limited rights of the public in privately owned foreshore are set to change with the new enactment of the Marine Bill)
- "Legal Developments - Etridge Mortgage Cases" Legal Week 1st November 2001.
- "The Etridge Mortgage Cases: A Review " The New Law Journal 19th October 2001.
- "Using the Human Rights Act to save the Family Home" The New Law Journal 21st July 2000.