Members of Chambers
Simon is Head of Chambers. One of the founder members of Stour Chambers.
He specialises in children act cases, mainly public law care cases involving serious allegations of non-accidental injury matters or sexual abuse. He represents parents, guardians and other family members.
Originally a solicitor (admitted 1982), Simon had experience of most areas of legal practice before becoming a specialist family practitioner.
He maintains an interest in education law and has written articles on this subject.
Simon is qualified to accepts Direct Public Access on suitable cases.
Specialist Practice Areas
- Care and Adoption (for Local Authorities, parents and guardians)
- Private Law Children work
Other areas include
- Medway Council v Mother & Ors  EWHC 308 (Fam) Theis J: 31 January 2014. Alleged non-accidental injury of baby shaking: observations on use of section 20 of Children Act 1989, burden and standard proof and medical evidence.
- Croft v Broadstairs & St. Peter's Town Council  EWCA 676 Civ:  All ER (D) 273: claim by employee or compensation for psychological damage caused by employer's conduct.
- Re D (Grant of Care Order: Refusal of Freeing Order)  1 FLR 862 CA
- Re H (A Minor) Re K (Minors) (Child Abuse: Evidence)  2 FLR 313 CA
LLB (Hons.) (Wales) Aberystwyth 1979
Passed Solicitors’ Final Examination, College of Law, Chester 1980
Basic French, German and Italian.
- FLBA (Family Law Bar Association)
- Association of Lawyers for Children
- Human Rights Law Association
- Legal Action Group
- Education Law Association
- Member of Bar Council Working Group on Small Chambers (2008-9)
Articles in various legal journals; notable recent articles include -
- In a New York adoption state of mind  February Family Law Magazine
- Decisions, decisions: choice of school and the 'judicial reasonable parent'  August Family Law Magazine
- 'Religion, Children and the Family Courts'  May Family Law Magazine
- ‘What do Children Cases Actually Decide?’  April New Law Journal
- ‘How Many Parents Does a Child Need?’  March Family Law Magazine
- Case note on Re T (Residential Parenting Assessment)  EWCA Civ 812:  September Family Law Magazine
- ‘God Never Gave Her a Chance: Won’t an Independent Social Worker?’ Applications for Assessments  August Family Law Magazine
- ‘Pre-Nuptial Agreements after Radmacher v Granatino’  August Family Law Magazine
- Case note on Holmes-Moorhouse v Richmond upon Thames London Borough Council  1 FLR 904  March Family Law Magazine
- ‘Shared Residence Orders: For and Against’  February Family Law Magazine
He is the author, with Gemma Farrington of Stour Chambers. of 'Applications for Assessment of Parents within Care Proceedings' (Family Law / Jordan Publishing) : available March 2014.
He has also spoken on a variety of legal subjects at the regular seminars organized by Stour Chambers and other venues. He is a visiting lecturer in Family Law at the University of Kent.
Hobbies and other interests
Reading (esp. history), music (he reviews concerts for a local newspaper), walking, cinema, travel and trying to make his French, German and Italian a little less basic.
Simon was active in local politics until he found it was incompatible with his professional commitments. He was an elected member of Kent County Council from 1993 to 1997 and held office as Vice-Chair of the Education Committee and Chair of the Special Educational Needs Sub-Committee. He has served as a school governor.